It’s been a while since I’ve done a Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts post and I am obviously procrastinating in my 20 Books of Summer reviews so here are some of the bookish and not so bookish things that have been going on chez 746 Books! Bookish and Not So Bookish Thoughts is hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous
• I was extremely excited in work last week to meet the amazing Bernard MacLaverty! I have long been a fan of his work – particularly the beautiful Grace Notes and his wonderful short stories, and the good news is that he is the nicest, funniest man in ‘real life’!
He read to a sold out audience of 200 from his new book Midwinter Break, signed books for almost 2 hours and was a general delight.
I have just put the finishing touches onto my autumn programme for HomePlace and am very excited about a few authors who will be visiting. I will of course, keep you updated!
• This week I treated myself to a rather lovely Out of Print tee-shirt! We Have Always Lived at the Castle is one of my favourite books and I couldn’t resist this gorgeous design. I got hit with a Customs charge I wasn’t expecting for ordering from the US, but it was still worth it!
• Despite having almost half my 20 Books of Summer left to read, myself and the hubbie are relishing Season 2 of the brilliant Preacher. Based on the comic books of the same name, Preacher is irreverent, funny and sometimes scary and one of the most enjoyable shows on TV. Plus Ruth Negga has the best costumes as the sassy Tulip O’Hare. Last month we watched The Handmaids Tale, which was fantastic but heavy-going, so Preacher is a little bit of light relief. If you haven’t seen it yet, this opening scene of Season 2 should give you an idea of what you are missing!
• I’m also on a bit of a movie binge this summer, particularly of the creepier kind. I’ve loved Get Out, Hell or High Water, Free Fire and The Invitation.
• Finally I’ve noticed that I am starting a LOT of books, but not actually finishing anything! I am currently ‘reading’ 9 books. That can’t be good, can it? I have actual books, books on my ipad and books on my phone, all in different states of read-ness. And the worst thing? Most of them aren’t even from my 20 Books list! I keep getting sent proof copies and getting excited and starting them before I’ve finished anything else!
How do you all feel about having a lot of books on the go at once? Are you a one book reader?
So, basically this summer, when I’m not working, reading or watching movies, the only other thing I’m doing is bouncing. On the twins’ new trampoline. It’s been a big hit and if anything, is giving me a bit of a work out!
I hope you are all having a great summer!
I am a 40 something book buying addict trying to reduce the backlog one book at a time!